There’s always something interesting on Ziegler’s list of the largest not-for-profit senior living organizations, and this year did not disappoint. Aside from the obvious—which groups are still in the top five and which ones have shifted—there are some takeaways that likely indicate industry bellwethers.
According to the report, there are, among other things, revelations about trends in “home and-community-based services, third-party management, rental Life Plan Communities (LPCs), technology adoption, joint ventures, and future growth plans.” Here are some noteworthy highlights:
- Approximately 54 percent of the providers on the list offer some type of home and community-based services to non-resident.
- In addition, the community care at home model is now offered by more than 14 percent of the providers on the list.
- More than one-third of the providers on the list are engaged in a joint venture that involves a health system or home health company. This number has grown by more than 34 percent since last year’s list was published.
- Related to this is the number of providers that have a formal health care contract with an Accountable Care Organization or a bundled payment agreement: the report notes that just 25 percent of providers on the list in 2013 had such arrangements.
- Perhaps not so shocking, but nonetheless noteworthy, is the fact that 84 percent of organizations on the list use electronic health/medical records.
If you’re really interested in getting into the weeds, the list also includes details about the pace of growth, aggregate growth, and type of growth. Here are some takeaways from these sections of the report:
- 75 percent of the providers on the list plan to expand or reposition an existing community in 2018.
- 30 percent said “maybe” in response to being asked if they would planning to add new communities in 2017 or 2018.
- 32 percent said they do plan to add new communities in 2017 or 2018.
Whatever might interest you, the Ziegler 150 offers more than a list: it is also packed with details about the largest not-for-profit providers that cannot be found anywhere else.
If you want a focused approach to strategizing your growth— facilitated by experts in the senior living field—contact Quantum Age today.